Baked Squash and Apples
- 2 lbs. butternut, buttercup or kabocha squash
- 2-3 baking apples such as Stayman Winesap, Pink Lady, Honey Crisp or Gold Rush
- 1/3 c. brown sugar
- 3 T butter
- 1 T flour
- 1 t salt
- 1/4 t mace (optional)
- Pierce squash with a sharp knife a few times and microwaved whole for 1 minute
- Peel and remove seeds and fibers
- Cut into 1/2 inch slices and arrange in an ungreased oblong baking dish
- Core and cut into 1/2 inch slices
- Arrange on top of squash.
- Combine brown sugar, butter, flour, salt and mace (optional) in a small bowl
- Sprinkle mixture on top of apples and squash
Cover and bake at 350 degrees F until squash is tender, 40-50 minutes
Red skinned winesaps are nice for color contrast with the orange-fleshed squash!
More posts like this one …
Looking for a year-round local recipe? Missing the fresh taste of Summer? Try this! Pesto is traditionally made with basil, olive oil, pine nuts and parmesan cheese. Many...