This recipe will warm you and your family, heart and soul. The chipotle peppers impart a slightly sweet and smoky flavor that adds interest and dimension without being overwhelming. Together with some of the adobo sauce, in which they come packed, they will add a little fire and kick, too. You can decide how much. Garnish each serving with a generous sprinkle of roasted pumpkin seeds (‘pepitas’ in Mexico) to add some crunch. And if you want to impress, drizzle a swirl of cream and a fresh cilantro. You’ll dazzle their taste-buds; you don’t have to tell them it’s a superfood of antioxidants, when they ask for more. It’s a great starter or pair with a salad of fresh greens, avocado, craisins in an olive oil/blue cheese vinaigrette and some crusty whole grain bread for a perfect meal.
Chipotle Butternut Squash Soup
- 2 large butternut squash, cut in half lengthwise, scooped clean of seeds and fiber
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 Tablespoons butter or olive oil (to brown onions)
- 2 cups free range (or homemade) broth (chicken or vegetable, either is perfect)
- 2-3 chipotle peppers (Chipotle Peppers packed in Adobo Sauce, in the Hispanic section of your grocery store)
- 1-2 Tablespoons of Adobo sauce
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds, roasted
- ¼ cup cream (totally optional)
- Cilantro, stemmed and chopped small (totally optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Place butternut squash flesh side down on a cookie sheet or in an ovenproof glass pan, add enough water to cover the bottom of the pan, barely.
- Roast in the oven until very fork tender, about 40 minutes. Watch that they do not burn.
- Meanwhile, dice onion, then saute until slightly brown.
- Remove the oven, allow to cool slightly , then scoop flesh into a blender (you can use a pot and immersion blender instead if you have one).
- Add the browned onions, chipotle peppers and adobo sauce. Process or blend, adding the broth until you achieve desired thickness/consistency.
- Make ahead a day if you can, flavors enhance, and just reheat to serve.
- Garnish and serve with a chipotle-warm smile!