This recipe is easy and delicious! It is the featured recipe for our winter squash fact sheet, which is part of our Feed a Family, Support a Family Farm program. Adapted from the book Good and Cheap by Leanne Brown.
- 1 Tbsp. butter, plus more for pan
- 1 butternut, kabocha, acorn, delicata or other winter squash (except spaghetti squash)
- 3 cloves garlic
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F. Butter a baking sheet.
- Slice squash in half using a big, sharp knife. Scoop out the seeds and strings. Set the halves face down on the sheet.
- Bake in oven until a knife poked into the squash goes through easily, about 30-40 minutes.
- Melt butter in a pan over medium head. Add the garlic and sauté about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Scoop the squash into a large bowl with garlic, butter from pan, and any other add-ons*. Stir until smooth.
- Taste and salt and pepper as needed.
*Optional add-ons: yogurt or sour cream, brown sugar and cinnamon, finely chopped chilis, curry powder, raisins, sage